Greetings from Egypt, where I’m on the tail-end of a very long research trip–one that has, unfortunately, made it pretty hard to cook things for myself. But lo! Here’s a quick and unique way to prepare a tuna salad. Habibi (darling).
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped small
- 4 cornichons (little spiced pickles!) sliced into roundels; if you don’t have these, chop up some ordinary pickles instead
- One 5-oz can of tuna in water, drained (I bet you could use tuna packed in oil, too)
- 3 tbsp tahina (sesame paste)
- 3 or 4 tbsp tomato paté, sundried tomato paste, or similar (such as sundried tomato pesto or another tangy tomato product)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
This may shock you, but all you need to do is combine the ingredients in a bowl. Serves one for a lovely, protein-packed lunch!