Zero added salt, zero oil, zillions of grams of protein and good carbs. This protein bowl, served hot, is the post-gym food of the future. OH MY GOD.
Get ready to rumble:
- 1/2 cup cherry or baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (I used frozen, which I thawed before starting; canned is fine, too, or you can go long!)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup onion of your choice, diced
- 1/4 cup tomatillo salsa, however hot you like it–I used Frontera Gourmet Mexican Tomatillo Salsa with Roasted Serrano + Cilantro (Medium)
- 1/4 cup grated or crumbled cheese of your choice (I used Pecorino Romano, but I would also have gone with cotija or a soft goat cheese)
- 1 egg
Place all of your ingredients except the egg and cheese in a medium-size pot, and cook on high heat for 4-5 minutes. Stir occasionally at the start, but let things sit and coalesce for the last couple of minutes. Near the end things should start to sizzle a bit: now turn your heat to low, crack your egg on top of the other ingredients, and let it sit to cook for a minute or two.
Once the egg is done, so is the main part of the dish. If you like runny yolks, wait until the white is cooked (you can stir that part around a bit to get it going faster); if not, break the yolk and stir the egg around until it’s done. Then take the mixture off the heat, put it in a bowl, and top it with your cheese (cheese is a protein, too). You can thank me later when you’ve licked your bowl clean. Olé!