My partner’s parents affectionately refer to this dish as “Jen Salad.” It’s a chopped salad with basil, coated in a simple goat cheese-based dressing. It takes about 5 minutes to prepare, and makes a great side for a grilled protein of your choice (I like to do this with chicken).
- About 1 cup cherry or baby plum tomatoes, halved or quartered (I like to use tomatoes of different colors)
- About 1 cup cucumber, cut into half-roundels or small cubes
- 1 handful fresh basil, chopped as you like
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped small (but not minced)
- 2.5 ounces soft goat cheese (the type without a rind)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Easiest. Salad. Ever. First, combine the veggies and basil, and toss together. In a small bowl, whip the honey, cheese, and balsamic vinegar until a smooth paste is formed. Last, coat the salad with the dressing; you might want to save a bit on the side to spread on your protein, if you’re serving this as a side dish. The moisture from the vegetables will help thin the dressing out a bit. Fin! Serves one as a main, or two as a side.