Never cooked lentils before? Neither had I before inventing this recipe. It’s pretty much foolproof. Hooray for curry!
Things you need to impress your friends:
- 3/4 c grey lentils
- One 13.5-oz can of light coconut milk (you can also use the full-fat stuff, I’m sure)
- 13.5 oz hot water–just fill the coconut milk can
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped small-ish
- 1.5 tbsp red curry paste
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped into small cubes
- Salt, to taste
Cook all of the ingredients in one pot–uncovered and on medium heat–for 35-40 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Watch the pot; a film will form on the surface, and the stuff will also boil, so you’ll need to stir from time to time. If your lentils are still a bit tough once the liquid has run out, just add a bit more water (veggie stock works, too).
Add any desired salt once it’s done. Top with goat cheese (I used honeyed goat cheese here), Greek yogurt, or paneer. Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side.