An excellent, quick lunch or dinner. I used to make this on excavation using a crummy electric hob, so I’m pretty sure you can do it anywhere!
What is mightier than the sweet potato? The sweet potato with cheese!
- One small sweet potato, peeled
- One small onion (I used yellow; red also works really well with this dish)
- 4 oz soft goat cheese–the kind without the rind; you can also use goat cheese crumbles
- Greens of your choice: arugula, spinach, romaine…
- Olive oil for frying
- Mild chili powder to taste
- Salt to taste
Slice your sweet potato into half- or quarter-roundels, and your onion into smallish strips. Toss these in a pan with some olive oil and a generous amount of the chili powder. (Don’t worry, it’s mild! It’s really there to enhance the flavor of the onions more than to work on its own.)
Cook everything on medium heat until the sweet potatoes are lightly browned and semi-soft. Add salt if you’d like, and stir. Then turn off the heat.
Place your favorite salad greens in a bowl, and lay the sweet potatoes and onions on top. Finish with your cheese. This recipe makes enough for two. Wasn’t that easy?